Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Name That Tune Redux: The St. Valentine's Day Edition

I had so much fun with my first song shuffle meme, that I brought it back for an encore, and this time with a prize!

Since St. Valentine's Day is right around the corner, as well as the beginning of Lent and the end of indulgence on Ash Wednesday, it seems like the perfect time to have a little chocolate splurge. A really fresh, local, handmade chocolate splurge.

Josh Early Candies has been in the business of making small batch chocolate and candies since the early 1900's. For years, my parents have made the hour long trip from their home to Josh Early's for our Easter candy.



Now I live only ten minutes away from chocolate heaven. The store smells like what I imagine it would smell like to bathe in a vat of milk chocolate. The scent fills every pore and fiber of your clothing. It's so good, I've been known smell my sweater when I leave.

I can't determine if that's good or bad for me, but I am happy to be a Josh Early patron nonetheless.

I'm sure you remember the rules: I put my music player on shuffle, post the first few lines of the first 20 songs that come up, and then you have to guess the title and the artist. T

he commenter with the most correct guesses by 5:00 pm EST on Friday, February 13th (a lucky day!) will be declared the winner and will be sent a box of Josh Early candy.

There can be no Googling of the lyrics (we're on the honor system), but feel free to discuss them with anyone who happens to be around. The comment with the earliest timestamp and the correct title/artist combo will be given the credit. (If a song has been covered many times, I'll take alternate artists.)

You may come back more than once to comment; I will add your new guesses to your previous comments as long as they are correct and no one else has gotten the answer yet. I know that you might only have a few minutes at the computer at a time.

After all, not everyone can be as derelict of their duties as I am. That's a honed skill, my friends.

These aren't easy -- at least, I don't think all of them are easy. I put up whatever came on, disregarding instrumental music, and our tasted are varied. I think we have every type of music except gangsta rap, so good luck to you. I'll post the winner on St. Valentine's Day.

1.
Ever since I was a young boy,
I've played the silver ball.
From Soho down to Brighton
I must have played them all.


2.
What'll you do when you get lonely
And nobody's waiting by your side?
You've been running and hiding much too long.
You know it's just your foolish pride.


3.
I was walking down a one way street
Just a looking for someone to meet
One woman who was looking for a man

4.
In Napoli where love is king
When boy meets girl here's what they say . . .
[title of song]

5.
[title of song] who can I turn to?
You give me something I can hold on to
I know you'll think I'm like the others before
Who saw your name and number on the wall


6.
Ah, ah,
We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
The hammer of the gods
Will drive our ships to new lands,
To fight the horde, singing and crying:
Valhalla, I am coming!

7.
Well, you done done me and you bet I felt it
I tried to be chill but you're so hot that I melted


8.
[title of song] makes me happy.
[partial title] in my eyes can make me cry.
[partial title] on the water looks so lovely
[partial title] almost always makes me high.

9.
Welcome to your life
There's no turning back
Even while we sleep
We will find you acting on your best behavior


10.
[title of song], well could you help me place this call?
See, the number on the matchbook is old and faded.

11.
My story is much too sad to be told,
But practically everything leaves me totally cold.
The exception I know is the case
When I'm out on a quiet spree,
Fighting vainly the old ennui,
And I suddenly turn and see your fabulous face.

12.
There goes my old girlfriend
well there's another diamond ring
and all those late night promises
I guess they don't mean a thing


13.
When I wake up yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who wakes up next to you
When I go out yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who goes along with you

14.
I gave a letter to the postman,
he put it his sack.
But in early next morning,
he brought my letter back.

15.
She turned fifteen with great expectations
Her older brother knew somethin' was up
He caught her going through his record collection
Lookin' at Hendrix like a love sick pup

16.
It seems like yesterday
But it was long ago
Janey was lovely she was the queen of my nights
There in the darkness with the radio, playin' low

17.
Well hello there,
my it's been a long long time
How am I doin',
oh well I guess I’m doin' fine

18.
Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move
Gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove


19.
I used to be a rovin' lad,
A rovin' and wanderin' life I had.
On any lass I'd frown,
Who would try to tie me down.

20.
Lord, I was born a [title of song],
Tryin' to make a livin' and doin' the best I can.
And when it's time for leavin',
I hope you'll understand,


If you are a regular here . . . . take a guess.
If you are new here . . . . take a guess.
If you are a lurker . . . . de-lurk and take a guess.
If you don't have a blog . . . . take a guess (I'll find you, promise.)
If you are related to me . . . . take a guess.
If you aren't related to me, but wish you were . . . take a guess.
If you aren't related to me and you never wish to be . . . take a guess.
If you're Canadian . . . . take a guess.

Did I mention you should take a guess? Remember, you don't have to know them all, you just have to know more than anyone else.

Do it -- you might win chocolate!
PS: If for some reason, you don't eat chocolate (and I now bow in homage to your fortitude), I'm sure you can find someone hanging around to eat it, right? And if not, I'm willing to travel and make the sacrifice myself . . . .

5 comments:

  1. Hangs head in shame... I only know 5 of them! Maybe I'll come back tonight and see if any more pop out at me before I leave my guesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:49 PM

    Alrighty! I did much better this round than last...maybe all the time I spend around you and Rob listening to music has paid off! Or...I've noticed that many of the songs this time are ones that Pop listens to...so maybe that's where I know them from. Anyway, moving on the the good part:

    1. Pinball Wizard - The Who
    2. Layla - Eric Clapton
    4. That's Amore! - Dean Martin
    5. 687-5309/Jenny - Tommy Tutone
    6. Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
    7. I'm Yours - Jason Mraz
    8. Sunshine on My Shoulders - John Denver
    9. Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears (thanks all due to a different band on helping me recognize this one, because they sampled this song in theirs!)
    10. Operator - Jim Croce
    11. I Get a Kick Out of You - Jamie Cullum
    13. I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - The Proclaimers
    16. Against the Wind - Bob Seger (thank you, thank you, Dad for making me learn the difference between Bob Seger and Joe Cocker)
    18. Black Dog - Led Zeppelin
    20. Ramblin' Man - Allman Brothers Band

    See...told you I did well! I'm excited that this time I actually know more than 2! And this game is pretty spot-on for showing yours and Rob's varied musical tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Scott and can can guess osme of the others anyways:
    3 is Do you believe in love by huey lewis and the news
    12 is what it takes by Aerosmith
    14 is return to sender by elvis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. of the ones not yet crossed out:
    14 - Return to Sender ... I love me some Elvis!
    15 - Girls with Guitars - Wynonna Judd
    17 - the title escapes me - but it's Willie Nelson

    apparently Julia needs to brush up on her old country tunes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. #3 is Do You Believe in Love by Huey Lewis & the News
    #14 is Return to Sender by Elvis

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say it. You know you want to.