Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Book It

I know I've said this before, but I am behind on the memes for which I have been tagged. I could just blow them off, but my inner lonely high school student won't let me forget that someone out there thought of me long enough to tag me. I'm a joiner, my friends.



In this case, it was T who tagged me for the Book Meme. And she knew me in high school, so she had to know that at some point I would stand and deliver. This is your moment, T, enjoy!




  • One book that changed your life: Lamont the Lonely Monster, by Dean Walley. This was my favorite book from childhood, and one that I enjoyed well beyond the suggested age bracket. There was something about the groovy sort of early 70's illustrations and "peace, man" story that I found irresistible. How did it change my life? It was the first book that I read. I remember looking at the words, and suddenly they all made sense and had a meaning. I've never looked back.

  • One book that you've read more than once: Anne of Green Gables, by Lucy Maud Montgomery. I've actually read the whole series more than once, and I'm sure I'll go back to it again.

  • One book that you'd want on a desert island: Now this is the kind of question that functions as a mini-psychology test, right? What does the chosen book say about your personality? If I can't choose just one, does that mean I have no personality? Maybe, but I've spent too much time analyzing all of my answers thus far, so I am opting out. Now what does that say about my personality?

  • One book that made you laugh: Me Talk Pretty One Day, by David Sedaris. I think I may have actually peed myself while I read this book. I read large portions of this book aloud to Rob, who also laughed. (And it's really hard to know when to laugh if the person reading to you cannot get through a sentence without running out of breath laughing.) The book is very profane, and I still could not contain myself.

  • One book that made you cry: Do math textbooks count? Otherwise, I haven't cried while reading a book. I'm as cold as ice, baby.

  • One book you wish had been written: A Guide to the Military for an Unsuspecting New Spouse. I really could have used something like that when I married Rob. I learned a lot about life in the Navy the hard way.

  • One book you wish had never been written: Ulysses, by James Joyce. Nothing against James Joyce - he was the brilliant writer and I spend my days elbow deep in diapers and dirt - but there's a semester's worth of brain space I'll never get back.

  • One book you are currently reading: The Terror, by Dan Simmons. Technically, I read the last page last night, but since it is over 700 pages long, I'm counting it. A taut, fictionalized account of the failed Franklin Expedition in the Canadian Arctic, I highly recommend this one. But you might want to have a cozy blanket handy.

  • One book you've been meaning to read: There are so many books waiting for me, but I guess the one I've had sitting around the longest is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon.

Since I have seen this meme popping up all over Blogville, I am assuming that everyone else has been tagged at some point. If you haven't been tagged, consider this your invitation!

7 comments:

  1. Yeah! Now I have a few ideas for books to get the next time I'm at the library. Thank you, sweetheart!!

    And, yes, math books do count - at least for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't done this yet, so perhaps I will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:02 AM

    I just want to say right there with you and Ulysses - Hated it and found it extremely difficult not to pass on my views when I had to teach it (not sure I succeeded) - Of course, I kind of felt that way about Edith Warton too after delving through Middlemarch.
    Anyway, a book I though was great (mostly because I would love to teach this) - Wicked.
    Hope you have a good day
    Mirabella MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:02 AM

    I just want to say right there with you and Ulysses - Hated it and found it extremely difficult not to pass on my views when I had to teach it (not sure I succeeded) - Of course, I kind of felt that way about Edith Warton too after delving through Middlemarch.
    Anyway, a book I though was great (mostly because I would love to teach this) - Wicked.
    Hope you have a good day
    Mirabella MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:03 AM

    My computer is freaking out- no idea why you got two of the same comment from me.
    Mirabella MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:32 PM

    Happy Birthday, friend! I cut my hair, too, that last month and did not like it too much. so, u are not alone. don't be afraid to go back to the hairstylist and tell them u need help...! Hang in there! Baby will soon be here...Regards,Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I loved "The curious incident of the dog in the night-time". It's such an awesome window into the autistic mind. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say it. You know you want to.