Tuesday, November 24, 2009

In Thanksgiving

I know I just announced a short blogging moratorium just last week, but let's face it: we all have too much to do to read too many blogs this week. Thank heavens my family is cooking the lion's share of the big meal this year; all I need to do is make sure that my house is clean and there are enough chairs.

I hope I can handle all that.

Last week, while I was recovering from my various illnesses, I had several unexpected opportunities to reflect on how much I have for which I am thankful. The least of which was a complete blowout of the van's driver's side window WHILE I WAS DRIVING it.

I don't think I've ever seen glass break into so many pieces and land on my body without being hurt or cut in some way. I am still not sure of what happened, but thank God that the children were not in the car when the glass exploded into the van.

I managed to drive home (I wasn't far) and when Rob pulled me out of the van, I was shaking. Glass was everywhere: on the seat, on the floor, in the back seat, in my hair, embedded in my jacket and jeans. Rob spent a lot of time looking me over and I didn't have a scratch on me. Not one square inch of my exposed skin was hit by glass.

My guardian angel, and the guardian angel assigned to the new baby, earned some overtime that night.

Of course, I also had less dramatic revelations of thankfulness. One afternoon, as I was folding laundry, I looked out the front window to see my two school kids walking home from the bus, kicking leaves and talking companionably together.

The little ones were sleeping, the smell of pumpkin bread wafted through the house, and as the kids came blowing in the front door, cheeks pink with November wind, my heart was full. Someone could have given me a bag of money at that moment and I don't think I could have been happier.

In that fleeting moment, I saw with perfect clarity that I am right where I am supposed to be, and none of it is through my own making. I am blessed and thankful.

There is so much in the world that is bad or frightening or worrisome, but there is also so much that is good and kind and beautiful. And sometimes you trip over it as it walks in the front door from the bus stop.

Happy Thanksgiving, my friends.

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. We all have so much to be thankful for. And I just discovered this week that if I stop grumbling about what I don't have and start being thankful for what I do have I am a much happier person. It looks like you have discovered this too!

    I am so thankful you weren't hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just crazy with the glass hitting you. I am so happy you weren't hurt and that the kids were not in the car too. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So scary about the van! Glad that you were ok, Aimee!
    I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! And thanks for breaking in on your "break". It was very inspirational :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. GeeGee5:56 PM

    I just finished my journal entry which included my thoughts on our wonderful Thanksgiving celebration at your home. I had similar feelings of gratitude for my family as you had on Tuesday. My last sentence was "God has indeed blessed us"....Advent has begun and I am concentrating on my spiritual preparation for Christmas. I just do not have it in me to get wrapped up in the whole commercial, secular "holiday" frenzy. The highlight of the Christmas season for me is spending special time with my grandchildren (our annual "shopping date" as they pick their gifts for their parents and siblings and the beautiful Chrismas pageant at school)May we all emulate the children...

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say it. You know you want to.