Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Caveat Emptor

** First published in January 2007

This week I'm enjoying all sorts of decadence for breakfast.

SAUSAGE BISCUITS! I LOVE THE SOUTH!

Next week, it's back to fiber and exercise. Yay.

***********************************************

Sometimes there really is truth in advertising.

When you go to pick up a box of Kashi Good Friends Cereal, in an attempt to keep on your whole "healthy eating so I can not feel like a total loser and die early from something preventable" kick, and it says - it actually says this - on the box: "A High Fiber Trio of Flakes, TWIGS, and Granola," well, you need to believe them.


THERE ARE TWIGS IN THIS CEREAL!

Real, honest-to-goodness, tree-bark resembling, tooth-breaking, throat-chafing pieces of wood! (OK, it's not wood per se, it's supposedly bran, but what's the difference, really?)

And as you sit there, trying not to choke on a twig that has gotten hung up on your uvula because your body is doing everything in it's power to not eat a tree, you can look at the picture of the "Good Friends" on the front of the box and you might imagine that they are raising their coffee mugs to say, "Good Morning, Sucker!," because they've known about the twigs the whole time!


Of course, that's not to say that Kashi does not make some pretty delicious cereals, as well. I am a big fan of the Kashi Go Lean Crunch, mostly because it is devoid of twigs, but also because it closely resembles granola, which I love, and it still packs 8 grams of fiber into one bowl.

Without twigs, did I mention that?


But you know the whole time I'm eating Kashi, I'm dreaming of Dunkin' Donuts.

2 comments:

  1. I have a box with twigs and those smiling friends in my cereal cupboard. I'll never eat it without laughing again! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shivaun8:51 PM

    This is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say it. You know you want to.