Friday, February 27, 2009

Quick Takes

One

I have to spill it: I am disliking the closed comments more than I thought. I miss you, my friends.

In fact, I caught myself trying to think of a legit way to get out of closed comments without looking like a Lenten wimp. No dice, but I did receive this quote in my email this morning:




The love of talk distracts all the powers of our soul from God, and
fills them with earthly objects and impressions like a vessel of water which
cannot be clear and settled while you are continually stirring the earthly
particles from the bottom.


St. Elizabeth Ann Seton


Hmm. Love of talk, you say . . .


Two

This has been a week of bad news: layoffs, sudden death in a friends' family, terminal cancer diagnosis in another family, the hits just keep on coming. It's all just making me feel sad and tired these days.

Three

FYI, just in case you ever want to stay at our house:

Sally (in tub) to Fiver (in bathroom keeping her company):

My mommy says no p*oping in the tub, okay?

Four

I have been out of Twitter for so long that I'm surprised the Twitter people haven't written me off as a deadbeat. But, funnily enough, I've gotten about twelve "new follower" email notifications this week.

Sadly, they've had nothing to follow from me, but Twitter is piquing my interest once again. I may have to give it another go.

Do you think this is because I closed my comments? Am I hungry for the instant gratification that only the internet can provide? We shall see . . .

Five

I bought a truckload of organizational items for Francie's room, and once I can carve out a nice chunk of time, the Big Purge is coming. I am so excited.

Francie is the girl I used to be -- she saves every scrippy scrap of paper that has ever crossed her path. She has empty conversation heart boxes in her nightstand, spelling tests from third grade, three programs from last year's piano recital, one desk drawer full of broken pencils and empty glue stick containers, and you get the idea.

I am actually looking forward to this job, because, hello, I am a dork.

I am itching to get in there with Francie, a garbage bag, my cleaning bucket, and some good tunes, and to come out on the other side with a room that looks like it came out of a Pottery Barn catalog. At least until my non-catalog issue child moves back in.

Six

I bought a DVD of some of the early years of Sesame Street for Sally. I thought it might be fun to see what she thought of the Sesame Street that I knew as a child.

We sat down and watched it this morning, and I was nearly drowned by a tidal wave of nostalgia. I found myself saying, Oh, I REMEMBER this! at every segment that came on.

Meanwhile, Sally turned to me and said, "So where's Elmo?"

Um, yeah. No Elmo in the early years, kid. Hard to believe now that Sesame Street is practically Elmo-centric.

I just shrugged at her and watched the trippy pinball number animation sequence.


Seven

We have a break in the cold weather today, with a current temperature of 58 degrees. That's practically April weather!

And just like April, it is raining, so the after-school trip to the park I had considered has to be scrapped.

It could be worse -- all this rain could be snow.


Visit Jen for more Quick Takes, and be sure to give her some well-wishes because she'll be birthing number four on Monday!

I'll see you back here after the weekend - have a good one, my friends!