Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Keepin' It Holy, Y'All

On Palm Sunday, our pastor said that, as Catholics, we tend to live our lives with one foot in the here-and-now and one foot in the eternal. We're keeping our eye on The Prize, as it were. But something really special happens during this week. This Holy Week. We get to put both feet in the eternal, and really do it right - if only once a year. He quoted Anthony Padovano, in his book Who Is Christ?: Love without restraint requires sacrifice. Any time we love with everything we have, we will always be called to sacrifice. That's why the Sacrament of Marriage is more like the sacrifice of the Mass than any other sacrament. (It's the best description of marriage that I've ever heard, but that's for another post.)

Father challenged us to keep this week holy through sacrifice; to show God that you love without restraint. Maybe you can see where this is going, my friends. This blog is a wonderful corner for me and I have such a tender spot for all you dear ones of the internet, but it can also be a distraction. I always start out on the blog, and then I wander off the bunny trail into the vast Uncharted Territories of the Internet. Little Red Riding Hood's mom had it right: Don't wander off the path, because it usually leads to no good.

I'm signing off for Holy Thursday and Good Friday, and maybe it's sad that I consider that a sacrifice, albeit a small one, but there it is. I'm loving without restraint, and I'm spending my time with God and family - in that order.

I hope the rest of your week finds you where you need to be and doing what you need to do to keep it holy, and I'll see you for the Big Finish (which is really just the beginning . . .)

1 comment:

  1. More and more people are doing this. I'm still resisting the call, although I think I will keep the computer off on Friday. We'll see. Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say it. You know you want to.