Here is a fun Marriage Meme that I saw over at 4andcounting (she always does good memes!), and since I am running on empty, I will bore you all with my answers. This week is a busy one, with all my usual appointments, plus driving over to see my dad in the hospital. He just had double total knee replacements, so now he's like Steve Austin, The Six Million Dollar Man. He came through the surgery well, and he is now starting his long road of physical therapy, so I am taking Baby Girl and The Boy for an official Laughter is The Best Medicine visit.
*** Points to the commenter who can name the movie from which I got my title
1. Where/How did you meet? We met when Rob came to visit his sister at college. We all went for pizza and then we toured the historic sites of Gettysburg the next day. It was pretty much all over but the shoutin' from then on :)
2. How long have you known each other?: It will be 13 years in April.
3. How long after you met did you start dating?: Hard to say, because we weren't living in the same state and we were kind of "dating by correspondence" although not really calling it dating. I would say a couple months.
4. How long did you date before you were engaged?: between 1 1/2 to 2 years
5. How long was your engagement?: 1 1/2 years
6. How long have you been married?: 9 years - we're coming up on 10 this June!
7. What is your anniversary?: June 14th - Flag Day!
8. How many people came to your wedding reception: 150-160 ppl
9. What kind of cake did you serve?: A golden pound cake with butter cream icing. It was so beautiful, but when we were cutting the cake the whole top tier fell off. Our caterer (who was not a small man) dove onto the ground to catch it. We laughed about it then and we still laugh about it now.
10. Where was your wedding?: In Birdsboro, PA, at Immaculate Conception BVM parish with a reception in my parents backyard
11. What did you serve for your meal?: Hard to remember since Rob and I ate so little of it! We had a catered buffet that included grilled swordfish, chicken, salads, penne pasta, and all kinds of other little yummy treats.
12. How many people were in your bridal party?: 5 groomsmen, 5 bridesmaids
13. Are you still friends with them all?: Yes, although there is one groomsman we haven't heard from in ages
14. Did your spouse cry during the ceremony?: Not full on tears, but we were both misty several times
15. Most special moment of your wedding day?: Well, I would say when the bagpiper came out and piped us down the aisle, but we also enjoyed when the bikers waved and revved their engines when they rode past our receiving line.
16. Any funny moments?: Well, we did think it was funny when the top of our cake fell over, because what can you do?
17. Any big disasters?: Besides the cake, which we laughed off, everything went pretty well. Except that my sister-in-law's dress, which needed to be altered on the spot to avoid a "wardrobe malfunction!"
18. Where did you go on your honeymoon?: We didn't have a honeymoon - there was no time because Rob had to report back to Florida for the Navy. We took a trip to Williamsburg for our third anniversary while my parents kept Older Girl, but we had to cut it short because Older Girl got sick. We're saving up for a big trip sometime in the future when the kids are old enough to be on their own with limited supervision. Somewhere tropical and beachy!
19. How long were you gone? See above
20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change? I would have the reception in a hall somewhere. The reception in my backyard was really lovely, but I feel like it was too much stress on my parents.
21. What side of the bed do you sleep on?: I sleep on the right side (when looking from the foot of the bed)
22. What size is your bed?: Queen
23. Greatest strength as a couple?: Our faith and values are always in sync - we look at life the same way.
24. Greatest challenge as a couple?: Right now, it's finding time for each, time to nourish our lives as a couple. But I know that will change as the kids get older.
25. Who literally pays the bills?: Me. I am the comptroller and bursar - Rob comes to me to see if he can take money out of the bank, even though almost every red cent is earned by him.
26. What is your song? "I Only Have Eyes For you" by The Flamingos
27. What did you dance your first dance to?: Our song - see above
28. Describe your wedding dress: Very simple, ivory matte satin. Off the shoulder, with a sort of sweet heart neckline, embellished with small satin roses. Fitted bodice, full skirt with a small train that was bustled during the ceremony. I loved my dress, and it fit like a glove the first time I tried it on. It needed NO alterations, which was a miracle to me. I had an elbow length veil and my headpiece was a crown of roses.
29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding?: I carried champagne roses - a creamy, pinky color. The church and reception were decorated with the same color roses and my bridesmaids carried the same color roses which sat in clips and made centerpieces at the head table.
30. Are your wedding bands engraved? What do they say? No engraving, just a plain gold band
I tag T, Sara, Carrie, Amy, and Barb - and anyone else who wants to play! (and don't feel like you have to do it just because I tagged you - I know we're all busy these days)