Thursday, November 02, 2006

Thursday Thirteen #2

Thirteen Things about my childhood (that didn't seem as odd then as they do now)


1. In grade school, our playground was a parking lot surrounded by a rusty fence. We used to play "In the Furnace," in which a player would be captured and squeezed against the fence. Kind of like "Squeeze the Lemon," only way more macabre.

2. When I was younger, my secret career dreams included being a backup singer (you don't have the pressure of being the headliner) or a trucker (I really wanted a CB handle).

3. In order to pass swimming lessons at the community pool, you had to jump from the diving board into the 12 ft. end. and swim to the swim instructors. I made my instructors tread water for 20 minutes while I stood on the board thinking about jumping. They were not pleased, but I still passed.

4. When my younger brother was born, I pretended I was deaf. I'm not kidding. Instead of throwing a tantrum like most kids, I pretended that I couldn't hear. I got all the way to Hershey Medical Center before they found me out, and I'll never know how my parents remained so cool about the whole thing.

5. While doing my household chores, I used to pass the time by pretending that the house was a bed breakfast and I was the housekeeper. Sometimes I still do that to this day.

6. I went through a brief kleptomania phase in second grade, only my conscience would get the better of me and I would always get caught trying to put the stuff back a few minutes after I took it. Stealing erasers from my second grade teacher's desk was my last act of petty larceny. God bless Sister Helene Joseph wherever she is -- thanks to her gentleness I have never taken another thing that didn't belong to me.

7. I did, however, turn to forgery. In fifth grade I got such a low grade on a math test that I didn't want to show my parents, so I signed my dad's name. My fatal mistake was using eraseable pen and then signing it multiple times until it looked "right." My conscience really got the better of me then, because I confessed to my dad before the teacher even called me on it. After that, my life of crime was over -- my nerves couldn't handle it.

8. The only time I got detention in high school was for "forgetting" my gym clothes four weeks in a row. I "forgot" them because my gym teacher was a sadist who called everyone by their last names, which she made them WRITE on the fronts of their gym shirts with permanent markers.

9. In grade school, I knew a kid named Mark who liked to pretend he was Rainbow Brite. He was transferred to a school in New York, and ended up in the same class as my future sister-in-law, Marguerite. We discovered this years later after we met in college.

10. My mom made me call my grandmother when I got my first period. There is no way in hell I am making my girls do that. I'll just call my mom when they go to school and tell her myself.

11. I used to run home from school in time to watch Voltron. Activate interlock, dynotherms connected, megathrusters GO! . . . Is it weird that I had crushes on cartoons?

12. I thought that everybody's family served ravioli as well as turkey on Thanksgiving. Then I met people whose families didn't eat ravioli at all !

13. In high school, I thought that if I worked at an ice cream parlor it might cure me of my immoderate love of ice cream -- like immersion therapy or something. It didn't work. The only thing I learned was that scooping ice cream all summer gives you carpal tunnel. Oh, and nobody ever picked rum raisin.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

1. Dayngr 2. Caylynn 3. Amy 4. Debbie 5. Chupieandj'smama

(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


12 comments:

  1. That was soooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:55 AM

    You had an interesting childhood! That gym teacher does sound like a sadist.

    Happy T13. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had COMPLETELY forgotten about 'In The Furnace.' WHAT were we THINKING?!?
    I never knew Mark ended up in school with Marguerite. How strange was that!?
    Thanks for turning me onto the Thursday Thirteen. While I can't seem to use the code in my own blog, I've modified it for my own purposes and started doing it myself!
    Thanks for the comment on my blog, too ;)
    Love Ya, Hon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting us get to know you a little bit better. thats awesome


    Mine is up! Please stop by www.thechristopherfamily.blogspot.com to vote for our daughters name!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i liked your list
    mine is up
    too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the visits and comments! And Meg -- yes "In the Furnace" was so weird, I can't even believe that I put it on the blog -- how did we not grow up to become axe murderers or some other form of malefactor!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list, too funny. I did #7 too (also erasable pen-lol), but didn't confess. I thought I could outsmart everyone, but I got caught in the end. Ended my life of crime too. Way too stressful. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:43 AM

    Mira Mom-
    Who was your high school gym teacher- since I now know so many of the Teachers at your former high school?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:24 PM

    why do i get a shrinking feeling that "in the furnace" was MY fault?
    ; )
    ~kimmy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:51 PM

    He liked to be Rainbrow Brite....in New York he was a Smurf!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:36 PM

    I had a crush on Richie Rich. seriously. he was sort of cute and had lots of cool stuff. His dog had dollar sign dots! Come on, what's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:54 AM

    That's a great list. I love the ice cream one! Rum Raisin. Ha!

    I'm on TT#2 as well. Come see me!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say it. You know you want to.