Friday, March 11, 2011

Sometimes There Are No Words

It's Friday, and I'd like to post something funny and light and sign off for the weekend, but I'm not in that kind of mood. The news this week has just kind of sucked the funny and frothy right out of me.

This tragic and horrific story from a few hours west of me has been on my heart all week. I cannot fathom the pain this family is going through right now, having lost all but one of their children.

It's one of those cases where I can't help but personalize it. For my own family, it would be like having Bun be our only surviving child. Please pray for this family; for the parents and extended family, and especially for their little 3 year old daughter who has lost her siblings.

While you're praying, Japan belongs high on the list of course. I've been reading all the news sites and looking at the pictures, but they can be mind-numbing. There's no good way to comprehend the magnitude of the destruction. Numbers alone are insufficient.

(and if you are looking for this information, Catholic Relief Services is already in action with a relief fund for Japan.)

And to think that earlier this week I was in high dudgeon over the "Lent Wars" that start on the blogosphere and Facebook every year. You know what I mean: posts and conversations, from people who have forgotten more about church doctrine than I know, covering all the different ways you are sucking it up this Lent. You should wear ashes, you should not wear ashes, you should give up something BIG, you should give up something small but meaningful, you should not give up something at all and instead do extra good things, you should never even talk about what you're giving up . . . and so on.

Seriously?

In the face of a world fractured by sin and groaning with tragedy and sadness, who cares what you gave up for Lent?

I'm not suggesting we be cavalier about Lent, or that we shouldn't examine our motives. Yes, do that. And then pray. And some more after that. And keep on praying.

And then keep your own Lenten promises, look at our world and offer up any discomfort or pain, and really pray.



3 comments:

  1. OH Aimee, that story- it breaks my heart too. I don't know how that family will do it--it's their dairy farm, their business and the site of the worst type of tragedy. It does make Lenten promises seem small by comparison. I don't usually give something up but this year I felt compelled too. I'm not sure I aimed high enough b/c so far, it isn't the challenge I anticipated. So I'll be examining that and praying...and praying--and praying MORE. Because all of these crazy world events lately? For me, they are really starting to sink in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, friend. We don't typically participate in Lent, although I have a few times. But this season, you just can't help to think of the suffering of so many...the family you spoke of, those in New Zealand and Japan and, and in our case, the law enforcement officers around here that have been trying to find some fugitives and the family of the man they have already killed. It is very humbling to see how very little I really do suffer.

    Blessings during this time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen.

    When talking with the parents (of kids in religious ed) about Lent the other week, I prefaced the whole discussion with how we didn't expect them to do it all, and we didn't expect them to any of it perfectly. But they were to give themselves space and time to reflect on their lives, their schedules, and then to listen carefully to what God is calling them to. We'll follow up by giving them space to pray in different ways together while their kids are in class... but I'm hoping both they and I can make it a priority to pray in our regular lives...

    perhaps you'd like to come talk and then pray with them?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say it. You know you want to.