Friday, December 21, 2007

Waxing Poetic Redux

I can't decide if it's comforting or just plain scary that this post from last year describes the exact way my house looks today. I'm going with scary.



Twas' four days before Christmas
And throughout the homestead,
Laundry was knee-deep
And there was only one "made" bed.


Teachers gifts were all stacked
On the dining room table,
We'd love to eat there
If only we were able.

The Boy in his pjs,
And Baby Girl in the same,
In fact Mother's still not dressed
And feeling quite lame.

No shopping's been done
For the Mr. from the Mrs.
And don't look in the kitchen,
You'll gasp at the dishes.

Our tree is so pretty,
We have that at least,
But no food has been purchased
For the big Christmas feast.

The kids are all sick,
A nice Christmas cold,
Crusty noses and coughs,
We're a sight to behold.

But I'll dose them all up
With some good "baby pink"**
And then maybe I'll tackle
The mound in the sink

Or maybe I'll just gaze
At the creche by the tree
To see how my children have
Arranged things so perfectly.

Because Christmas is coming,
With the house clean or dirty,
With presents or nothing,
Or with kids sick or hearty.

So I'll rise up to meet it,
Right here in this place,
And be glad we're all here,
Each smiling, crusty face.

So from this house to yours,
From our hearth and our hearts
,
Merry Christmas To All
(forget the imperfect parts)!




** "baby pink" is my kids' name for Children's Motrin, because the bubble gum flavor is pink

Originally posted December 20, 2006

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:04 AM

    I hope you all are feeling better this year at least!

    It's the sentiment, not the perfection. Enjoy your beautiful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! I'm pretty sure you described every house with children, though. At least ours is like that. Merry Christmas, and don't feel guilty sitting around looking at that tree. You're working on the best Christmas gift of all, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:27 PM

    I tagged you (or really Sally) for a fun meme. Come check it out if you want to play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, great minds do think alike! I hope you all are on the mend!!! Merry Christmas a bit late!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say it. You know you want to.