Monday, February 05, 2007

Just Not Feelin' it . . .

Monday, that is. Usually it's my favorite day (and Barb's, too!), so I'm used to feeling lots of vim and vigor for the new week. But not today. I don't know if it's the bitterly, instantly snot-freezing, lip-chapping cold out there, or if it's the wicked sore throat I have (even after my St. Blaise, bishop and martyr, blessing), or if it's the utter failure I'm making of my healthy eating and exercise plan -- I'm sure it's a combination of all of the above.

Plus, the kids had a two-hour delay this morning because of the cold. What? I hate to play the When I Was A Kid Card, but when I was a kid, I remember waiting for the bus, freezing my a** off, jumping around like an idiot to keep from succumbing to hypothermia. And before I was a bus rider, I was a walker (uphill, both ways, fighting off packs of dingos with my trusty, scrappy gal-pal, Megan). Furthermore, I remember going outside for recess every day, except if it was raining or snowing. Cold did not count as a "weather emergency." Ah, the good old days . . .

My kids get driven to school in a warm, cushy van, so cold is never really an issue for them. I do know that our school was the last to declare a delay because we are hard-core, but when all the other schools are delayed, and the buses won't be dropping off any kids, it doesn't make any sense to have the few car riders in school for two extra hours.

But two-hour delays are not all bad -- there's time for extra coffee and blog-reading if you're not herding the kids out the door at 7:20 am. Besides, knowing the way my life works, Monday will most likely be winding to a close by the time I actually hit "Publish" instead of "Save as draft."

** I was right -- it is now 7:10 pm and I am finally hitting "publish." And the kids have another two-hour delay tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:00 PM

    "fighting off dingos" Umm... it may seem silly to aks but, did you see any actually dingos while walking to SCS? It seems there is a wallaby seen running loose in the Reading area.

    -T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:05 PM

    After seeing all the typos in that comment I think I shall go to bed early tonight! -T

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mom rejoiced in her two hour delay because the school district can't figure out how to get the busses started in the cold... on the other hand, they had early dismissal... how dumb is that?! The kids went to school for 1 hour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh girl, let me just tell you how with you I am on this one! I remember hiding behind my brother walking up the hill to Central so that the wind didn't freeze my nose hairs! I also remember using our book bags to 'sled' home from SCS! We did all of this in SKIRTS! Are we raising a generation of wusses??
    Garsh...I suddenly feel REALLY old ;)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say it. You know you want to.