Saturday, November 25, 2006

Post-Prandial Bliss

Kudos to the person who first thought of elastic-waisted pants because they have truly been my friend these past few days. Too much pie and not enough treadmill has been a lethal combo here in the Langan house -- we are just lolling around like walruses. (And when I say "we", I mean "me" since Rob is out right now at the Turkey Trot, a 5K in Bethlehem. Who does a 5K right after Thanksgiving?! Not I, said the Mama Walrus.) But all the "distress due to over- indulgence" was worth it because we had a blast. The cousins were playing, the turkey was browning, the wine was flowing, God was in His heaven and all was right with the world.
Even though I did get a little harried right at serving time (the big question: is all the food ready and hot at the same time?), I had a ton of help for which I am thankful. My brother, JB, took care of the turkey and the trimmings, Alton Brown-style, and he also made a pumpkin gingerbread trifle that was a big hit.
My heart is so full that I can hardly express it, and I just want to say thank you, thank you, thank you, and I love you all.
A Thanksgiving Prayer
Samuel F. Pugh
O God, when I have food,
Help me to remember the hungry;
When I have work,
Help me to remember the jobless;
When I have a home,
Help me to remember those who have no home at all;
When I am without pain,
Help me to remember those who suffer,
And remembering,
help me to destroy my complacency,
bestir my compassion,
and be concerned enough to help,
by word and deed,
those who cry out for what we take for granted.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:11 PM

    Ah, the Good Eats Roast Turkey. I have been making that every time I host Thanksgiving. It's just ridicuously good. I didn't cook (Thanks Scott's mom!)but I sure missee that turkey...

    Amy

    I didn't want to have to sign in. It woud have erased my comment. I am supremely lazy

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say it. You know you want to.